Skip to main content

April's Book - The Starlit Wood

I'm cheating a little and posting a book AFTER I've read it ... but I wanted to make sure it was a good one.

The fun thing about this one is that it's a book of short stories! So even if you don't like all of them (which I did not) you are almost certain to love some of them (which I most definitely did!).

Many many thanks to Faith Williams for rising to the challenge of suggesting it for me.

The Starlit Wood
Packed with award-winning authors, this anthology explores an array of fairy tales in startling and innovative ways, in genres and settings both traditional and unusual, including science fiction, western, and post-apocalyptic as well as traditional fantasy and contemporary horror.
The first and last stories were predictably my favorites, but it was super fascinating to read through all of the different genres, styles, and interpretations. Even if a particular story wasn't to my liking, I still learned a lot from reading them.

My favorites included (in the order they appear in the book):

  • In the Desert Like a Bone by Seanan McGuire
  • Seasons of Glass and Iron by Amal El-Mohtar
  • Penny For a Match, Mister by Garth Nix
  • The Briar and the Rose by Marjorie Liu
  • Pearl by Aliette de Bodard
  • Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (which was worth the cost of the entire anthology, in my opinion)
Those weren't the only ones I enjoyed, just a sampling of my favorites.

If you read the book, I'd love to discuss!



Comments